Friday, November 03, 2006

Get the Mushroom! Get the Golden Treasure Box!

Excerpt from Beth Moore's Breaking Free Study Bible:

Imagine going to heaven and standing by God as He lovingly shows you the calendar of His plan for your earthly life. It begins with the day you are born. Once you received Christ as Savior, every day that follows is outlined in red. You see footprints walking through each day of each week of your life. On many of the days, two sets of footprints appear. You inquire: "Father, are those my footprints on the calendar every day and is the second set of prints when you joined me?"
He answers, "No, My precious Child. The consistent footprints on your calendar are Mine. The second set of footprints are when you joined Me."
"Where were You going, Father?"
"To the destiny I planned for you, hoping you'd follow."
"But, Father, where are my footprints all those times?"
He answers, "Sometimes you went back to look at old resentments and habits while I was still going forward, hoping you'd join Me. Sometimes, you departed from My path and chose your own calendar instead. other times, your footprints can even be seen on another person's calendar because you thought you liked their plan better. At other times, you simply stopped because you would not let go of something you could not take to the next day."
"But, Father, we ended up OK even if I didn't walk with You every day, didn't we?"
He holds you close and smiles, "Yes, Child, we ended up OK. But, you see, OK was never what I had in mind for you."
"Father, what are those golden treasure boxes on certain days?"
"Blessings, My child, I had for you along the way. Those that are open are those you received. Those still closed were days you did not walk with Me."

How many "golden treasure boxes" have I already missed just because I wanted to do it my way? Doing it my way usually doesn't work out for me in the end anyway. Doing things my way ends me up with an OK life, a life that doesn't even measure up to the life God wants to give me. How many times have I looked at other people's life and wished it was my own? That sounds silly, but there are many times where I wished I had a nice house like my friends do, or nice matching furniture, or money to go shopping, or had as good of marriage as others. I sometimes think, I want someone to be envious of me for a change, instead of the other way around. I wonder if anyone is, and if they are, why?

I just had a thought of when I was younger, I used to fall asleep, or come close to it, in Mass. I remember the priest walking around the pulpit, tassle rope belt things swinging, putting his fingers together as he walked. He's giving his shpiel "An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth." I don't remember what he was talking about but that's a very vivid memory I have of St. Joseph's Catholic church. Now I see myself enraptured, entranced, on the edge of my seat, full attention, listening to Pastor Frank at CBC. Do I look like my mom? Has God given me the open mind for sermons, the attention span, the patience of a grown up? I guess He has. Why can't I have the same attention span, the same patience in other areas of my life? You know, I believe that will come too. When I am ready for the house, when I'm mature enough, then I believe God will give it to me. The furniture, the money, and yes, even the good marriage will come by the Grace of God. It doesn't take a divine vision to know that I'm not ready for all of that, even though I want it now.

Everyone talks about God's Timing. It's funny that Beth Moore uses a calendar analogy when it comes to walking on God's path. Walking in God's timing. At times I pull out of something before I get to the finish line I couldn't see, just because it took too long. I do that with prayer. It's a habit that is getting in my way of my Walk. There are no expiration dates on situations and circumstances. God is consistent in my life, I'm the inconsistent factor. The blurb above motivates me to stay consistent with God, to try and get all the blessings He has for me.

Now I keep picturing Supermario bros. Get the mushroom! It'll make you bigger! You will miss the block that holds the mushroom if you go down the pipe for the gold coins. I think that if you die in the level you lose all your coins. The mushroom would have kept you alive if you went that route. And if you're already big and go the regular route, He gives you a flower, which what, lets you breathe fireballs? Awesome. That is an awesome gift. This is the same for God. You go God's route= you grow Bigger (spiritually). If you're already big spiritually and you come across more of God's blessings, aka a flower= You are armored to kill the bad guys, aka spiritual warrior! Do I even understand this whole entire blog? Probably not. It's just rambling. Ramblin' Rod. Now I'm humming the Mario bros. theme song. That's my cue to stop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home